Here are the condensed minutes from the October 21st senate meeting:
- The funding request for the Chess Club to buy 5 new chess boards was approved.
- The Accounting Club was automatically given $200 as a new organization.
- The Classics Department requested funds for an new undergraduate conference including schools such as Berea, Georgetown, and Centre. The request was approved.
- There is discussion to look into getting a “Spirit Boulder,” a boulder to paint concerning upcoming events that is placed in a highly trafficked area on campus. Contact: Daniel Cooper
- There is a search for alternative storage facilities for International Student Storage Space, previously in the basement of Davis. Looking into renting one, or making one in Beck. Working with International Club and Residence Life. Contact: Pound Chen
- Senate is looking into another smoking shelter and vapes are allowed on campus. Contact: Shelby Lewis
- Adding a $5 optional payment onto the cost-per-semester letters that are sent to students to support green initiatives. Contact: Mckenzie Gearheart
- Senators and Residence Life will be updating and reviewing the roommate matching form. Contact: Catherine Clark
- Furniture in the back patch, one or two picnic tables. Contact: Gage Abell
- Staplers next to all printers on Residence Side. Advertise that staples and paper are stored in DPS. Contact: Mark Siriano
- A printer will be placed in the Shearer Art Building. Contact: Claire Gardner
- Living-Learning Communities: Having living situations/halls centered around community involvement, religious life, etc. Ashley Gutshall, Dean LoMonaco, Wilson Dickinson. Theme housing is a step down from living-learning. Contact: Riley Bresnahan
- Also working on changing Greek Recruitment to the Springtime. Contact: Aaron Roberts
- Developing a leadership initiative for William T. Young Scholars and other Premier Scholars. Our aspirant schools provide funding, support, etc as a part of scholarships. Contact: Shane McKee, Dina Ison, Dean Bryan. Contact: Hussain Siddiqi
- Using Crimson Cards at the athletic fields will not happen with our current provider. They will be able to send emails out notifying students of point status. Contact: Ryan Hanson
- Discussion with Coach Justice about opening up a field at certain hours of the week: Thomas Field for students who want to be outside and use it for outdoor activities. Contact: Ryan Hanson
- The process of reviewing the General Education (GE) requirements has begun. CPC is working on requirements and goals and relying very heavily on student feedback and survey results. Possibility of doing a forum. The school is in the midst of a review that only happens every 10 years (5 year interim). Contact: Katie Tucker
- First year experience and August Term: getting AP English Credits to count for FYS so students can go straight into FYRS. Contact: Joey Gearon
- Further Engagements: an Area 4 fulfillment, interdisciplinary, pass/fail, no tests, no papers, really fun books and lectures. Contact: Manpreet Sira
- Faculty and Dean lunches open to all students; check TNotes for announcements
- Discussion about making May Term study abroad added onto tuition. Students will have the option as a freshman to sign up for it and pay each year in order to go abroad. Lauren Gilbert and Chloe Hunt are going to meet with Marc Matthews, Dean Bryan, and the President. Would help to address the issue of out of pocket costs, encourage studying abroad, and advertise the University. Contact: Chloe Hunt and Lauren Gilbert